Visiting, Non-Regular, and Miscellaneous Appointments

International Visitors

Individuals who are visiting the University as professors or research scholars from outside of the United States are issued Form DS-2019 by the Office of the General Counsel at Notre Dame, which will allow them to participate in the J-1 exchange program.

Prior to entering the United States, the visitor must present Form DS-2019 to a U.S. Embassy/Consulate abroad along with a visa application and other required documentation to obtain a J-1 visa. This will allow for entry to the United State to participate in the J-1 exchange program at Notre Dame as a professor or research scholar.

If visitors have questions about extending their stay in the United States, traveling outside of the U.S., or the rules and responsibilities for maintaining lawful immigration status, they should contact the Office of General Counsel at 574-631-6411.

The Office of General Counsel determines the visa type by using the Immigration Request Form, filed by the department during the hiring process. If a J-1 is recommended, contact the International Student and Scholar Affairs Office. All other visa types go through General Counsel.

The International Visitor Orientation page sponsored by ISSA is a helpful resource.