Reappointment and Renewal Process
Reappointment recommendations and review packets for all TPAC and research faculty members are due to the dean's office by the first Friday in October.
All review packets are completed and submitted electronically. Please compile the packet according to the college’s Review Checklist.
College policy follows University policy for all reappointments of TPAC and research faculty members as set out in the Academic Articles (IV.5.b,c,d,e,g):
- The Chairperson of the faculty member’s department or the head of the faculty member’s academic unit notifies a faculty member under consideration for reappointment or promotion in advance of the evaluation process, and the faculty member submits a statement and evidence on his or her own behalf for use in the evaluation process. Sample notification letters for use by chairpersons are supplied by the college.
- The chairperson or head of the faculty member’s unit consults with the unit's CRPT or the College's Committee on Reviews and Promotions for TPAC Faculty.
- For TPAC faculty members, the chairperson submits a written recommendation to the associate dean for the arts. For research faculty, the chairperson submits the written recommendation to the associate dean for research.
Submission of the review packet is required when any associate or full TPAC or research faculty member’s contract will expire.
In the case of assistant TPAC and research faculty members with one-year contracts, the review packet is required only in their third year since their last review.
- Year one of a one-year contract: reappointment email to associate dean (see below), but no review packet
- Year two of a one-year contract: reappointment email to associate dean (see below), but no review packet
- Year three of a one-year contract: review packet
All review packets, regardless of the rank at which the faculty member is being reviewed, are due to the dean’s office by the first Friday in October.
Review packets for TPAC and research faculty who are not being recommended for reappointment must also be received by the dean’s office by the first Friday in October. Please see the Academic Articles (IV.3.b,c,d,e,g) for non-renewal and terminal-year contract policy.
The college strongly encourages departments to conduct reviews of TPAC and research faculty during the spring semester preceding the fall deadline. Departments are welcome to submit their packets to the dean’s office in the summer prior to the fall due date.
If a TPAC or research faculty member is housed in a department, the chairperson and the CRPT conduct the review and process the reappointment. If a TPAC or research faculty member is housed in a unit without a CRPT, the director of that unit works with the college’s Committee on Reviews and Promotions for TPAC Faculty to conduct the review and process the reappointment.
For the reappointment of TPAC and research faculty on one-year contracts, the chairperson or director’s recommendation for reappointment should be made using this template:
Dear Associate Dean [name]:
I recommend that [name of faculty member] be reappointed as [assistant teaching professor/professor of the practice/advising professor/clinical professor/research professor]. The Department’s CRPT and I have considered the materials submitted by the faculty member and have evaluated the case.
I shall discuss with [name of faculty member] the committee’s evaluation of [her/his/their] work, drawing special attention to the following areas where we saw room for improvement:
[list areas for improvement]
[name and signature of chairperson or director]
This reappointment recommendation can be sent by email to the appropriate associate dean. It is due by the first Friday in October.
NOTE: For newly hired faculty in their first year, we have extended this deadline to provide sufficient time for observation. The deadline in those cases is January 10.